After my look back at Octocon, and the previous ones yesterday, I wanted to put out some thoughts I have had about Irish Fandom as we get ready for Running things like Shamrokon, and putting a bid together to host a World con in Dublin.
One of the problems is that we get together nowhere near enough. Back when I first got involved, there were monthly meetings of the Irish Science Fiction Association. However attendance of those meeting fell, and in the end the organisation was wound up.
This left a gap of places for fans to get together, and looking around Dublin there does not seem to be much more than a couple of Science Fiction Book clubs and other small gatherings.
When I think about it, I come up with four distinct points
- I think I would like a regular meeting.
- It should be as cheap as possible to attend.
- It should be centrally located.
- It should have a definite purpose.
1. I have thought about this, and feel that about once a month is a good idea, and it should be a set day of the month, something like the second Tuesday, or similar means that people will know when it is as they start planning things. Making it easier for them to decide if it is worth there while to attend. I know other events have shorter and longer gaps, I just feel that this is a time line that might work better.
2. I would like this to be free, however it can be hard to ensure a good central location without some charge. While a place could be found that might meet a lot of these requirements, keeping it month to month for free could be difficult. It may start out as free, with possible requests for people to donate to supporting the event on a voluntary basis.
3. In this case it should be near to the majority of bus routes, such that a single bus or Luas would get you into the area where the event is happening. Of course because of train station locations the same cannot be said for Trains.
4. Having a meeting that is just for meeting up with friends is useful, it however does not really encourage the arrival of new people, and in truth this about getting to meet new people. So each meeting should have a purpose of sorts. A reason that people might come along. Whether it be a talk from an author, a table quiz, or a presentation of some sort. Something to differentiate each meeting from the last.
I am going to investigate this and try and find some place to host a meeting, and maybe some form of talk for the first meeting. The question is does anyone else want to get involved in helping me out with this?